One of the biggest concerns for me on my iPhone has always been its battery life while traveling. While on the go, I have to take calls, reply to emails, take notes. And while traveling, it is often times difficult to plug in to charge. I believe other iPhone users too might have experienced this. I have tried a few things to improve battery life on iPhone and in this article, I will share useful tips which I have found effective. The tips in this article work with iOS 13, iOS 12, and iOS 11.
Turn On Auto Brightness
iPhone’s ambient light sensor works efficiently to adjust the screen brightness according to the light around it. So, turning on auto brightness will save battery when you are using your phone in dark places. To enable auto-brightness, follow these instructions:
- In iOS 13 and later: Go to Settings -> Accessibility -> Display & Text Size -> Auto-Brightness
- In iOS 12 and iOS 11: Go to Settings -> Accessibility -> Display Accommodations -> Auto-Brightness
- In iOS 10 and older: Go to Settings -> Display & Brightness -> Auto-Brightness
Reduce Screen Brightness
Try to keep screen brightness low as readably as possible. The high brightness of the screen will drain the battery more. To reduce screen brightness, follow these instructions:
- Go to Settings -> Display & Brightness -> drag the Brightness slider to the left
Turn Off AirDrop When Not Using
AirDrop enables you to wirelessly transfer files with other AirDrop-enabled devices. It is not that when you are not using the function it is not working, it is active in the background and wireless data transfer will drain the battery, so it is advised when not using, turn off AirDrop. To disable AirDrop, follow these instructions:
- Open Control Center -> tap on the AirDrop icon -> choose Receiving Off.
- Alternatively, you can also go to Settings -> AirDrop and turn it off.
Disable Wi-Fi When Not Using
If your Wi-Fi is kept On, it will constantly look for the available networks and this will drain the battery. As I said before, if you keep anything On, it will function in the background, affecting your battery. It is always advisable to Turn your Wi-Fi On only when using it. Also, keep it disabled while traveling. To disable Wi-Fi, follow these instructions:
- Open Control Center -> tap on the Wi-Fi icon.
- Alternatively, you can also go to Settings -> Wi-Fi and turn it off.
Turn Off Personal Hotspot When Not Using
Personal Hotspot enables you to use your cellular data on other devices within range. Always ensure that you turn Off your personal hotspot after you finished your work, or else it will drain the battery. To turn off Personal Hotspot, follow this instruction:
- Go to Settings -> Personal Hotspot -> turn it off.
Turn Off Bluetooth When Not Using
When you are not using your wireless devices (earpiece or headset), always turn your Bluetooth off. If kept On it will drain your iPhone’s battery. To turn off Bluetooth, follow these instructions:
- Open Control Center -> tap on the Bluetooth icon.
- Alternatively, you can also go to Settings -> Bluetooth and turn it off.